Tuesday 19 October 2010

Inspiration for my idea

When looking at the seven deadly sins, I thought about different ways I could portray these sins without being too cliché. 
I found this on a website which I thought was quite interesting because its a different way of looking at the sins and it gave me some inspiration toward what angle I could come at for my shoot. There is a list of each sin and the punishment you would supposedly receive if you were to sin.
I could possibly show the punishments instead of the actual sins, this could be done in a number of different ways as well as being quite a diverse way of showing the sins and I like the idea of combining the editorial idea with it also. However, some of them would be hard to show literally as I will be doing it in a studio I might be restricted.
SinPunishment in Hell

Pridebroken on the wheel
Envyput in freezing water

Wrathdismembered alive

Sloththrown in snake pits

Greedput in cauldrons of boiling oil

Gluttonyforced to eat rats, toads, and snake

Lustsmothered in fire and brimstone


This photograph of Kate Moss was taken by Juergen Teller in 1994. I intend on producing an image similar to this for the sin Lust. I want the subject to be in all red, looking seductive and I will have LUST with the meaning projected on to the face and body.

Lust

The most violent appetites in all creatures are lust and hunger; the first is a perpetual call upon them to propagate their kind, the latter to preserve themselves.” 

'' Lust is the craving for salt of a man who is dying of thirst''
This quote has given me inspiration toward how I will present the models. I am thinking of having the sin's lust and gluttony together and this quote would work well with how I plan to present them. I want gluttony to look helpless and emotional as well as looking trapped, with lust looking at gluttony as if she is getting a thrill from gluttony's desperation.   
Gluttony
Gluttony is an emotional escape, a sign something is eating us.” – Peter De Vries
This quote has given me some inspiration for how I will show gluttony. As I want the images to reflect modern issues in society I aim to reveal through imagery problems that we are faced with everyday. In a media saturated society we are constantly aware of body image, the 'perfect' body, and the undesired body. In my photographs I want to explore the sin, gluttony, and how our emotions can be responsible for this 'so called sin.'  I feel that these dated sins are a good reflection of the modern world, gluttony is clearly still seen as a sin but for different reasons. 

Wrath

“Fairest and dearest, your wrath and anger are more heavy than I can bear; but learn that I cannot tell what you wish me to say without sinning against my honour too grievously.” – Marie de France

Sloth

“Sloth like rust, consumes faster than labor wears, while the used key is always bright.” – Benjamin Franklin
''Sloth and silence are a Fool's virtues''- Benjamin Franklin

Pride

“A proud man is always looking down on things and people; and, of course, as long as you’re looking down, you can’t see something that’s above you.” – C.S. Lewis

Greed

“Earth provides enough to satisfy every man’s need, but not every man’s greed.” – Mahatma Gandhi

Envy

Envy eats nothing but it's own heart.
I am thinking of using these quotes as my text in the image, I will look at some more and see whether they work well with my final images. 
About my idea.


The Seven Deadly Sins — lust, envy, gluttony, sloth, greed, anger and pride — have had an enormous impact on the moral compass of the modern world. These sins have had different interpretations in Christianity, Islam and Judaism, and some argue that they have even greater significance than the Ten Commandments.

http://www.theage.com.au/news/national/seven-deadly-sins-get-a-modernday-makeover/2008/03/10/1205125821756.html

No comments:

Post a Comment