Sunday 7 November 2010

Different ways of approaching my idea

I don't want to go down the typical cliché route, but instead give my project some meaning behind the idea of the seven deadly sins.
I wanted to show that the seven deadly sins were invented originally as a way of controlling society and giving some moral structure. Religion doesn't have such a strong impact on society as a whole any more, instead we look to the media for advice and structure and it's the media that has taken over religion in the sense that it now gives us the facts and controls us in many ways. After researching this a bit further I've decided to give the idea of the 'seven deadly sins' a modern twist. I think the old sins do reflect a lot of what could be classed as wrong and sinful in our world today.

I was looking at the sins and trying to connect them with what is currently being talked about the most in the media: The spending cuts and an ongoing subject in the media; the perfect image. I think that wrath, greed and sloth fit in quite nicely with what's going on at the moment. The spending cuts were announced the day that I shot my first film so I aimed to tie it in with the idea of the modern sins.

For greed I wanted to show a very wealthy woman reading about the spending cuts, with a look on her face that says 'This doesn't concern me, I don't care'
The spending cuts are going to hit a lot of people, but there are a majority out there who it won't affect at all. I wanted to show a stereotypical wealthy person, who this wouldn't effect and in turn you could class as the modern day greed.

Sloth is another sin that fits in with what's currently being talked about in the media. As well as there being a majority of people the spending cuts won't hit, there are also that other majority that it will hit and quite severley. Some people's opinion of people that are on benefits could be that they are sitting around all day doing nothing for the money of others who work hard. This does happen and there are a lot of people in England who are involved in benefit fraud, I wanted to show the stereotypical person on benefits. The modern day media's sin of laziness.

Wrath could be a good representation of how people felt after the spending cuts were announced.
http://www.guardian.co.uk/education/video/2010/nov/10/student-protest-london-millbank
There were angry protesters over the educational spending cuts, which resulted in violence.

The other three sins in the media
Gluttony is a modern sin that we are constantly reminded of.
Weight is a topic that the media are obsessed by, and we
are bombarded with images of the results of gluttony. Then and
now photos of celebrities losing and gaining weight.
For my photoshoot I want to show the emotional results of gluttony,
why people do it and the damage it causes. I don't want to show
gluttony the way the media shows it to us but how gluttony could
look behind closed doors.

Envy. I believe that the reason for some people's envy is due to
 what they are shown through the media. We're always wanting
the latest phone,or the latest car because somebody else, mainly
celebrities have it and were in a dellusion that with this type of
materialism our lives will be better.
Advertising has a strong impact on this, which is something
I have been looking at for image and text.

No comments:

Post a Comment